"If I went to mars would I be able to grow plants in the soil?"
NASA scientists have found that our system is passing through a cloud of energy. This energized, electrified cloud of gas is disturbing our Sun. In conjunction our weakening magnetic field, the world is becoming increasingly vulnerable in the face of massive solar flares and intense radiation. Please tell me what is this cloud of energy and how does it affect us. AND It is claimed that not only is earth heating up, but that all of the other planets in the solar system are heating up also. I was wondering if this claim was true, and if so, how and when was it discovered and what are the possible reasons for it? Would it have anything to do with planetary alignment and the gravitational push and pull between the planets and the Sun?
I am fascinated by the false astronomical rumors that many people believe, fueled in part by Internet conspiracy websites. There is no cloud of energy (whatever that phrase means) and no warming of all the planets. No external force or field affects the Sun, whose 22-year cycle of activity is internally driven. There are no threats from ”massive solar flares and intense radiation”, and solar activity remains fairly low by historic standards. Changes in the Earth’s magnetic field are small and within the usual range of variations. The claim that other planets in the solar system are heating up is false, although I sometimes see it from the global warming denialists. In fact, it is a pretty silly statement. How do people think we could measure the warming of other planets, which are observed remotely, when there are still arguments about the degree of global warming on our own planet? Further, all the planets are heated by the Sun, and we know there has been no increase in the energy emitted by the Sun. The anomalous warming of the Earth has nothing to do with the Sun or “energy clouds”, but is caused by CO2 greenhouse warming from massive consumption of fossil fuels. Finally, please note that so-called “alignments” have no effect; indeed, the word alignment is not even part of the astronomer’s vocabulary.
Astrobiology Senior Scientist
October 1, 2012
- After ten years and more than two thousand posted answers, David Morrison retires from answering Ask an Astrobiologist. Read his departing letter here
- How frequently are questions answered?
- I asked a question but there was no answer?
- Who is the Astrobiologist answering these questions?
- Will I get an email when my question is answered?
- What college courses should I take to become an astrobiologist?
- How can I get a job as an astrobiologist at NASA?
- Have aliens visited Earth? Are UFOs real?
- Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?
- Is it true that the Sun will be in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy in December 2012 and that this will cause a pole shift and massive destruction.
- Has NASA discovered life on other worlds?
- Astrobiology Career Path Suggestions